Chair: Bill Burkett (Committee Chair/Board Secretary)
General Purpose – The Governance Committee is commissioned by and responsible to the Board to assume the primary responsibility for matters pertaining to Board recruitment, nominations, orientation and training. The Governance Committee is responsible for initiating the review of and managing updates to documentation governing the school. The Governance Committee Actions are executed in accordance with the Bylaws of the organization as well as established policies and practices approved by the Board.
Appointments and Composition
- Appointments of the Chair and members of the Governance Committee shall be made annually by the Chair of the Board with the advice and consent of the Board in accordance with the Bylaws.
- The Chair of this committee shall be a member of the Board.
- Additional committee members may be appointed and can be, but need not be, members of the Board.
- Analyze the skills and experience needed on the Board.
- Create a short and long-term Board recruitment strategy.
- Work with Board Chair and ELT on a succession plan for Board officers.
- Recruit candidates to serve as members of the Board and develop a slate of Board members for consideration by the membership at the annual meeting in accordance with selection/election procedures outlined in the Bylaws.
- Develop and review annually the procedures for Board recruitment.
- Develop and review annually an orientation and training plan for new Board members.
- Assist in the planning of an annual Board retreat and other deeper strategy sessions as needed.
- Develop and revise a Board member handbook outlining the responsibilities of the Board and Board members, Board policies, and other relevant information.
- Conduct Board education as needed, particularly related to implementation of a Policy Governance Model
- Create specific measurable Board-level goals for the year as part of the full Board planning process.
- Regularly evaluate the effectiveness of Board meetings and make recommendations for improvement to the Board President and the full Board as needed.
- Annually coordinate an evaluation of the full Board and individual Board members.
- Report to the Board at regular meetings of the Board in a manner determined by the Board.
- Annually evaluate its work as a committee and the objectives it has committed itself to and report on same to the Board.
- Plan, initiate, and conduct periodic reviews of each and every school governance document (e.g., policies, Bylaws, administrative procedures) in collaboration with Board Secretary (who maintains a catalog of governing documents)
Governance Committee Documents